Urad Dal - 1 Cup
Idly Rice (Boiled Rice)
- 7 Cups(Mixie)
- 9 Cups(Wet Grinder)
Fenugreek Seeds - 2 tbl spoons
Cooking Soda - 1/2 tbl spoon
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbl spoon
1. Soak Dal and Bolied rice separately for 4 hours .
2. Wash Urad dal , add some water and freeze it for 1 hour . Take out the dal from freezer , add fenugreek seeds and grind it with the same cold water .
( If urad dal is freezed before grinding we get more batter . So we can add more rice like 7 cups . If you do not freeze dal , then you have to add only 3 cups of rice for 1 cup of Urad dal )
3. Now grind Rice separately and mix it with dal batter along with salt and cooking soda.
4. Now keep the batter outside till the quantity gets almost doubled ( for about 12 hrs approximately )
5. Now add water in cooker and heat it for about 10 minutes . Apply little oil to the Idly plates and keep idly batter and keep in medium for 20mins.
6. Now Idly is ready . This tastes good with coconut chutney or tomato chutney .
Note : This batter can be used for making Dosas also .